Welcome! This is a website for all of my students and former students who are learning English As A Second Language anywhere in the world!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Welcome to my blog, Maddie Coleman!

I want to give a hearty welcome to Maddie Coleman who is 9 years old and lives in far off Harleyville, Pennsylvania. Her father's name is Paul and his father's name is Donald. Donald lives in Charleston, South Carolina and is MY brother. I couldn't have been much older than you, Maddie when my mother put me in St. Anne's Orphanage for a two week "vacation". Maybe if you are very good, your mother might do the same thing to you and maybe you could take your 7 year old brother Andrew with you. I'll bet they give oranges in Pennsylvania too!....But that is not why I am writing this post. Maddie wrote to me and asked if I would publish a poem that she wrote in the 4th grade. You are not an immigrant Maddie, but I am THRILLED to do it. You have the honor of being the first Pennsylvanian on Mr.Leo's Blog. I hope that your brother Andrew will write something and be the second.So here is your poem,Maddie. I hope someone will write a "COMMENT" about it:
STARS
A million lanterns
Drops from the sun
Golden flames on matches
Not a single flame the same
But they all light my way
written by Maddie May Coleman
Grade 4
Harleyville, Pennsylvania

2 comments:

Catherama said...

That is a lovely poem Maddie. My name is Cathy and your dad, Paul, is my cousin. I think that might make me your "second cousin." I like poetry a lot and go to see "slam poetry" sometimes. A million laterns is a great metaphor.

Leo Coleman said...

You are right, Cathy. I hope Paul will explain what a metaphor is to Maddie, but maybe she has a really good teacher there in Pennsylvania who can get that concept across to a 4th grader.