Welcome! This is a website for all of my students and former students who are learning English As A Second Language anywhere in the world!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Brainteaser---Two Winners

I think you have had enough time with Mr.Leo's Brainteaser, and it is time for me to tell you that there has been two people who have gotten it pretty close to correct. However, they live worlds apart! One lives in southern France and the other lives in New York City. First of all, the type of sentence was a CONDITIONAL SENTENCE USING THE PAST PERFECT AND PRESENT PERFECT TENSES. The Past Perfect Tense (had known) was used in the DEPENDENT CLAUSE: "If I had known you were going to Paris,". The present perfect tense was used in the INDEPENDENT CLAUSE: " I would have bought you a new winter coat.".......The whole complete sentence looks like this: If I had known you were going to Paris, I would have bought you a new winter coat. Notice the comma after the dependent clause. If you turn the sentence around and write it this way: " I would have bought you a new winter coat if I had known you were going to Paris." the comma is not necessary. The comma is only necessary if the dependent clause comes FIRST in the sentence. If you find these "brainteasers" helpful in your writing let me know in an e-mail (leocoleman@rocketmail.com) and I will dream up some others. What I need to know is the kind of help you need and sometimes I find that out from how you word your e-mails to me...........Au revoir Mes amis!

No comments: