Welcome! This is a website for all of my students and former students who are learning English As A Second Language anywhere in the world!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Mr. Leo's Advanced Grammar Brain Teaser

I am at the present time giving a former student a mini-brain test by e-mail just for fun. (Also, I determined by a test that I gave him that he NEEDS this kind of practice!. I thought I would open it up to others as well. This will be a little tricky because I have to set up the situation without giving you the answer completely, yet not making it impossible to do!.......Well, let me try. You may recognise yourself in the example: Here is the situation. I will give you all that is necessary for you to answer me, but you must answer me in ONE SENTENCE to be correct. Do you understand?.....ONLY ONE SENTENCE....THAT IS ALL YOU ARE ALLOWED.
Okay, here are the facts:
1. Madamemoiselle X planned a trip to France in January 2010
2. She did not tell me she was going to go. She kept it a secret.
3. She needed to buy a warm coat for Paris in the winter.
4. She had to buy her own coat for the Paris winter----so sad!
5. Leo LOVES to buy coats for Madmeoiselle X, but she did not tell him
she was going, so how could he buy her a new coat?......Too bad!
Now, you have the major facts that you need. NOW for the GRAMMAR FACTS:
1. Your sentence must begin with the word "IF"
2. Your sentence must use the PAST PEFECT TENSE of the verb "To know"
3. Your sentence must use the PRESENT PERFECT TENSE of the verb "to buy"
Also, if you can name the kind of sentence it is and put the comma in the right place, you get THREE BOWS from me, an admission that "You are the master," and I buy the coffee at the Atrium of St. V's..............(unless you are Sikandar in which case I could NEVER say, "You are the master!").......(Answer next week.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she had tell her teacher that she was going to France; he would have bought her a coat for the winter

Unknown said...

If Mr Leo had known that Mademoiselle X was planning a trip to Paris in January, he would have bought for her a new and warm coat.
And if Mr Leo had told to Mademoiselle X where she needed to take pictures for him in paris, She would have made ready her camera. :)

Leo Coleman said...

Fairouz is correct with the first sentence. I would make one minor correction: I would leave out the word "for". It is not needed. Otherwise the sentence is perfect. I will write a blog about it, and I will write you an e-mail about the second sentence which is almost perfect but not quite.