Welcome! This is a website for all of my students and former students who are learning English As A Second Language anywhere in the world!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Minorities Speak Out!!--but only to each other

I tried to time it so that I would be there at 5:30 P.M. Where? The City Council Chambers, Third Floor, City Hall, Worcester, Massachusetts. Why? I was asked to go there by a dear friend and former student (Lakale) to support a demonstration by the Spanish community who wanted to make a statement that the immigrant community is an important part of Worcester,contributes much to its progress, and has a number of issues that need to be addressed.

I parked in the library parking lot on Salem Street around 5:00. I put $2.00 in the meter(enough to last until 7:00P.M. and froze while I walked the few blocks to City Hall. I was not surprised at the good crowd in the Council Chambers, but I was surprised that THE CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS WERE NOT THERE. I listened to a beautifully organised meeting composed of speakers from every minority group that one could possibly think of (Spanish,Albanians,Muslims,Gay Community,American Civil Liberties Union, a Brazilian lady professor with a translator, a young lady championing the rights of poor people who have been cheated by unscrupulous investors with foreclosures,another young lady from Holy Cross College wh omade an inspiring speech for togetherness with the new administration, etc.etc. I say "etc" because I did not write anything down and it was one speaker right after another, but anything but boring! In between we had a wonderful Spanish guitarist and four Mexican young ladies who did some traditional Mexican dances.....BUT NOT ONE CITY COUNCIL PERSON, JUST EMPTY CHAIRS. WHAT A SHAME. Of course, in all fairness, I have to ask the question, DID ANYONE INVITE THEM? If they were invited and not even a representative chose to show up, then that is really BAD. hOWEVER, I will have to reserve judgment until I know more of the facts.

All of the speakers were great, but there was one who was an absolute standout. I spoke to him in the hall as I was leaving (to avoid getting a parking ticket) and he told me that he was a student at Worcester State College. He also is from Kenya, the same country that Barak Obama's relatives come from. He kindly gave me his speech and when I have time tomorrow I will print it in its entirety here on my blog. It was that good! His name is WILSON WAHOME KIRIUNGI. I would say that Worcester State College should be very proud to have a student of this caliber. I think if Wilson decides to become a citizen of the United States, he will be heard from. Look for his speech on my blog tomorrow or the next day at the latest....Goodnight...(Oh, I did not get a ticket. I had 35 mimutes to go.)

No comments: