Welcome! This is a website for all of my students and former students who are learning English As A Second Language anywhere in the world!

Friday, October 19, 2007

OKAY!!

Well, this is the most stupid job I HAVE ever had!!!!
THERE is a warehouse full of clothes. We have a table in front of us and a millon boxes AT our back. Each day more and more truckS full of boxes from China ARRIVE. We open the boxes and hang the clothes ON different racks or we fold THEM and put THEM ON the bakers'rack. Somebody else takeS the clothes to the store. There are some codes that we need to learn in order to send the mercHandiSe to different departments.
I am surprised and sad because in each box are many plastic bags. We discard tons of cardboard and plastic bags every day!
Anyway, I feel like I am GETTING TO KNOW the "street American people now", people that have no idea of unfair trade and don't mind where the MERCHANDISE comeS from. THERE ARE people that eat JUNK food and have A smile sculptured on THEIR FACES because the smile is part of the job.
I learned that workers in retail stores work part time without benefitS with the minimum wage or so. I am wise now!!!!!!

(Thank you, Lakale for sharing this with all of these teachers! You have a lot of courage. We will talk some more when we both have more time. I hope I gave you enough time to copy your original post.......Leo

7 comments:

Kim Perry said...

i am very curious about your job and I'm glad you wrote to tell us about it. It must be frustrating to waste so much cardboard and plastic. If I recall correctly, you have a wonderful skill of making beautiful things out of plastic bags, right?

Leo Coleman said...

Lakale,
Thank you for writing. With your permission, I am going to correct your story the way I did in the past when you were a student in my class. I used capital letters to make corrections. I ALSO WILL ASK YOU TO MAKE A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL WRITING SO THAT YOU CAN COMPARE MY CORRECTIONS TO YOUR ORIGINAL. I WILL WAIT UNTIL TOMORRROW TO CORRECT.

Leo Coleman said...

Lakale,
I need you to help me with one more thing if you can before I can correct your story. I need you to tell me what the word "mercancy" means? Can you use another word? Kim, can you translate for me?

lakele said...

Wow, si a misstake. I think that mercandize is the word

Leo Coleman said...

Lakale,
"Merchandise" is a general word meaning material that you can buy in a store like J.C. Penny's----not groceries. Is that what you mean?

lakele said...

Thanks Leo. I copied the original. Do you mind if i write more stories? I don't want to be intrusive.

Leo Coleman said...

LAKALE,
nICE USE OF THE WORD "INTRUSIVE.". i WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU WRITE SOME MORE ON THE BLOG, BUT WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE CONFERENCE IS OVER ON WEDNESDAY.